2015 will be a new year with it’s own rewards and challenges, and while I’m looking forward to the adventure, I’m also thankful for all that 2014 brought. So to today I thought I would honor a few of those 2014 highlights by sharing with you my top 14 discoveries of the year! Most of these are beauty related, and some are lifestyle, but all are new to me as of 2014 and things that I highly, highly recommend.
Without further delay, I give you my favorites:
1. EOS Lip Balm – My purse is such a mess that using eyesight to look for things is virtually impossible; it’s much easier to feel my way through my bag instead. These EOS lip balms (in addition to being amazing) are so easy to find with their egg-shaped packaging! And they are soooooo moisturizing. I especially love the tangerine medicated one.
2. Urban Decay Naked Foundation 0.5 – It’s matte, doesn’t settle into my pores and lines, lasts allllllll day long, matches my skin tone almost perfectly, is a perfect medium coverage, and at $39, it isn’t ridiculously priced for a high end foundation either. My only dislike is that I didn’t discover this foundation sooner!
3. ELF Acne Fighting Foundation in Porcelain – While I love the UD Naked foundation, and appreciate the lower price for a high end product, $39 is not an everyday makeup sort of price. That having been said, it’s been a 2014 mission of mine to find a quality, cruelty-free drugstore foundation and the ELF Acne Fighting foundation is it! It’s not quite matte, but that little extra dewyness is what makes this $6 foundation ideal for dry winter skin. The coverage is an even medium and the Porcelain shade matches my pale tone flawlessly.
4. Wet N Wild Megaslicks Balm Stains – Have we talked about the fact that I don’t particularly like lipstick? I’m not a “touch-up” kind of girl. Whatever I put on in the morning (with the exception of lip-balm) is what I come home with at the end of the day. Besides, there is no feeling that stresses me out more in life than having to worry if my lipstick has run all over my face and if I look like a clown. I WISH I were exaggerating. So I’m sure you can understand when I say that the discovery of lip stains in 2014 was a game changer for me. Specifically I really like these $2.99 stains from Wet N Wild. They do change color throughout the day so you want to take the time to get to “know” the product before you depend on it for something big, but they last all day long and that’s what’s most important.
If you missed it, check out my review (complete with lip swatches) here.
5. Too Faced La Creme Color Drenched Lipstick – Weh-hell, looky here! Two lip products from a self proclaimed lipstick hater! But listen a minute… these are more like a tinted balm with 80% opaqueness and the result is just beautiful. I don’t have to babysit this product which is nice but it does fade within two to three hours so reapplication is necessary. At $22 each, the price isn’t ideal though and so I’m hoping that 2015 will help me find an adequate drugstore replacement.
6. Audible – I have loved reading for as long as I can remember but ever since we bought the house out in BFE (it takes forever to get to and from work) and the birth of my son, I haven’t been able to read as much as I would like; my reading time has pretty much been limited to joint custody of my lunch hour at work… so I’m sure you can imagine how long it takes me to get through books at that rate! But Audible has changed everything! I’m now able to take advantage of the 2 hours I spend in the car driving each day and catch up on the 200+ books on my “to read” list.
7. Sonia Kashuck Nail Polish – You guys know I love my Julep collection (another 2014 discovery), but I’ve got to admit that the staying power of the Sonia Kashuck nail polishes is astounding. I picked one up at Target to test out in late November and if it weren’t for the limited color selection I’d be totally enamored. But all the same, this is without a doubt one of my favorite discoveries of 2014.
8. Dry Shampoo – I know it’s general, but this is one of those that I’m still working hard to find my ride or die product in. I didn’t even realize dry shampoo existed until this year to be honest! At the moment, I’m specifically impressed with the Garnier variation; it soaks up oil nicely, and you really have to use a lot of product before any white film appears. Plus it’s only like $5 so that’s awesome.
9. The Body Shop Warming Mineral Mask – This has got to be one of the most relaxing products that I own, period. I love the warming sensation… it feels like freshly dried laundry on your face. Is that weird? My face feels and looks so clean and soft afterwards too. You can find it here for $17, and while it’s worth every penny you can usually find it on sale for close to half that.
10. The Lunar Chronicles by Marisa Meyer – This lot has been on my “to read” list since the first book was released in 2012 and I’m so glad I finally got to it. In truth, this is a lot I listened to through Audible and I couldn’t have finished them off fast enough. The fourth book “Fairest” is supposed to be released on January 27th and I can’ttttttttttt wait! “Winter,” I think, will be the last book and that is scheduled for release in November. See, just look at all the exciting things 2015 already has to offer!
11. The Bloodlines Series by Richelle Mead – I didn’t want to read this lot. Vampire Academy was the set by Richelle Mead that made me fall in love with YA fiction and because Bloodlines was supposed to be a spin-off of Vampire Academy I honestly didn’t expect anything good to come of it. Now, I’m only on book 4, “The Fiery Heart,” and know I won’t be done with book 5 by the time 2015 hits, but I am simply obsessed and already can’t wait for book 6’s release date in February!
12. Acure Organics – Is it cheating to name a brand instead of one particular item? Oh well! I have been so impressed with Acure’s skincare and hair-care products. Their brightening facial scrub is one of my top 3, and their body washes are so moisturizing! I could go on about their products but you really should just check them out for yourself. Just do it.
13. Julep Bare Face Cleansing Oil – Scrubs are a dime a dozen but I feel like it is so hard to just find a good cleanser. This one has got to be one of my favorites of all time though. First of all, I love the nutty, earthy scent of this cleansing oil. Second of all, I lurvvvvvv using this product to remove makeup and as an overall cleanser for days that my skin is particularly dry. It’s just such a lovely product and I’m so glad I was introduced to it this year.
14. Coffee Break with Dani – Ok, so I wasn’t planning to talk about a YouTuber here but it just sort of happened. This girl. It doesn’t matter if I hear the same review from 10 other people, if Dani says it, I believe it. She’s just so genuine and funny and the kind of person I can assimilate with so I’ve just got to say really quickly that if you don’t follow Dani on YouTube, you are missing out so get some pep in that step and check her out here.